Pages

Background

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Entering into the New Year!!


I have felt this way for as long as I can remember... The New Year should be entered in with a CLEAN HOUSE!! and a clean slate! So.... I appologize if I have offened, wronged, or hurt anyone this year. Isnt it amazing that the offender often wont remember the wrong they have committed, but the offened will never forget. So, I'm assuming that I MUST have offened, wronged, or hurt someone and I am truly sorry. Please forgive Me!

As found here are the origins of the saying - "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Read it if you get a chance... very interesting. One of my favorite statements is the statement by John Wesley "'Slovenliness is no part of religion.'Cleanliness is indeed next to Godliness.'"
I have been "PREACHING" this to my kids for years, however that is our MAIN focus today. I started my cleaning earlier in the week, but as the week nears to the end we have stepped it up. I dont want any dirty clothes in the house. No trash, no clutter, no mess, etc. This is sometimes hard with "one" of my kids.... I wont name any names... but I think we all know which one it is.

I am on a roll so far... bathrooms have been cleaned litterally from top to bottom. Walls wiped down, baseboards cleans, floors swept, mopped (several times), mirrors cleans, etc. I am changing the sheets on the beds. Dishes are done and kitchen cabinets are wiped down. The house is dusted. The rugs have been all shaken out. And more...  I LOVE this feeling.
I am airing out the house today because the weather is soooo nice!

I have oftened wondered if I am the only person who sweeps then mops then sweeps and mops again, then sweeps again and mops with plain water.... Every time I sweep I seem to pick up more dirt and every time I mop the water comes out dirty. Do I have abnormally dirty floors? Do I have the wrong mop? Do I not sweep often enough? I sweep daily and mop every other day. Please tell me what you do.
When I was first married I used a sponge mop, because thats what my Mom used. Then I used to use a string mop because Ora said it was the best. They both seem to work the same to me. Now I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop because when I was cleaning my friends house last year she had one and it was amazing how much dirt you saw on the mop. I wonder which kind is TRULY the best????

I would love some feedback.
I read once that the Dutch believed it was bad luck to enter the New Year with a dirty house or any outstanding Debt. That is awesome!

Happy NEW YEAR! May God Bless our 2011!

***** And for those of you who have read this far you will see there is going to be a GIVEAWAY*****

I am giving a TARGET Gift Card and a Copy of Mrs. Sharp's Traditions to the people with the best New Years Customs/ traditions story.
It can be your own Custom/ tradition or a History that you were told or read about.
I LOVE HISTORY!! so... here's to New Years!!
THAT'S TWO SEPARATE WINNERS!!  

If you win the Target Gift Card you could use it to buy a new mop... or something that will help make your 2011 better for YOU!!

Please post about this on your blog and link it back to this page or... if you dont have a blog click on "Comment" on the bottom of the page and leave your story or memory there.

There are FOUR CHANCES Per Person to enter
*One entry for every story! (Dont forget to link it back to this page)
*Get a Second entry for telling me which kind of Mop you use and why
*The Third Entry for Following my blog
*Fourth Entry for telling me HOW YOU mop your floor... any re-moppers out there??
Thanks for participating!
Please leave a separate comment for each entry.

I will post the winner on Wednesday January 5th, 2011 at Noon!
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

18 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow--I'm impressed. We gave our house a good cleaning before leaving on a trip a week ago. We are back and it's still mostly clean for today but nowhere near as clean as yours! This is a little embarrassing but I want lots of chances to win so I will share--
I don't use a mop. Nope. My husband does maybe four times a year. The rest of the year I do the occasional spot "mopping" with paper towels and some sort of spray cleaner. I have a tiny kitchen and therefore a tiny kitchen floor so this works well in there. I never mop the bathrooms but I do spot "mop" around the toilets and sweep and hubby occasionally mops.
So--I definitely do not re-mop. I don't even do the first mop.
Don't judge me. :0)

dettonlisas@gmail.com said...

Tiffany... You are so funny! Thanks for confessing!

Sonya said...

Wow! I, too, am impressed, but not obsessed. Our house is mostly wood flooring, and is swept at least 2 times daily, or more as required, (high traffic areas), mopped about once a week and spot clean as needed. My man occasionally will even get on his hands & knees to make sure all the "corners" are clean. Our bathrooms are cleaned the same way.

I use the Liberman sponge mop with the scrubbie on the front. And then small towels as needed for spots and corners.

oneblessedmamma said...

Hey Lisa. I just started "following" you.

oneblessedmamma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
oneblessedmamma said...

I too have used an assortment, and I'm with you that they NEVER seem to get truly clean, although I don't generally mop more than once (I DID mop the kitchen 3 times the other day though). I just bought a Libman mop with microfiber "rags". I've used the sponge kind, but they never seem to get clean themselves. It seems like the rag mops are what most commercial places use, so I figured they have to be on to something...but I'm not sold on that either. I have a "shmop" (a launderable microfiber pad mop) that works fairly well on flat surfaces, but our kitchen floor is wonky. I too like the Magic eraser one, but it gets very dirty quickly and need to be rinsed every 2 feet, LOL.

oneblessedmamma said...

How do I mop my floors? Via kid power! The kids mop most of them now, so I've had to compromise true cleanliness with it getting done and getting done regularly. Each room gets mopped once or twice a week. But when I do it? I usually do it on hands and knees (okay, on BUTT, not knees), but that doesn't happen very often-usually when I just can't taken it anymore.

dettonlisas@gmail.com said...

HOW ARE YOU LADIES GETTING YOUR HUBBY'S TO HELP?? This is blowing my mind!! LOL

oneblessedmamma said...

Last bit: Here's the link to my blog post about traditions:
http://oneblessedmamma.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-years-traditions.html

Tiffany said...

Hey--I posted on my blog and I'm already a follower!!
As far as getting my husband to help--he just does, mostly with just certain things though--mopping, dusting ceiling fans, cleaning out the oven and fridge--the stuff I never do.

Marie Gilkey said...

I use a string mop because I can take head off and wash and bleach it in the washer when it gets dirty. I mop my kitchen and bathrooms every day and I still will be the first one to spill something on them. But with grandchildren and a dog and cat and a husband in and out all day, the floors can get pretty tacky. I, too, have been cleaning alot, but mainly because my husband is in the CCU unit at hospital and it keeps me busy. So please put me in your give away, it would be a nice way to start the coming new year. May you and yours have a safe and fun filled evening.

Melissa said...

Hey Lisa, I'm joining in on the fun. I just posted my New Years traditions on my blog. I love your crazy mopping antics.

Unknown said...

Have given up on using mops. All those promises and little return. My latest floor cleaning gadget is a pair of slipper, with a removable bottom portion with loops of microfiber. I sweep my kitchen area, spray with a cleaner and walk around my kitchen, cleaning the floor as I go. It's decent exercise and I'm not bent over, scrubbing or on my hands and knees. When I'm done, I pull the velcroed cleaning pad off and toss it in the washer. Think I got them at WalMart.
On New Years Day, I make a big pot of black eyed peas. I lb. dried peas, 1 lb. hot italian sausage and 1 lb. chopped onion and water. Really good! As adults, my kids have learned to love this (finally). Happy New Year to you...would love to start the year off by winning a giveaway!

Melissa said...

I use a Libman "string" mop. The strings are really strips of some kind of foam-like material. I chose it over a sponge mop after working with my Dad when he was cleaning houses. It rinses and dries well.

Melissa said...

I'm following you! Thought that would be hard to figure out, but it was easy peasy.

Melissa said...

How I mop...sadly, not often. The last 2 times I've "mopped" my kitchen floor it's been down on my hand and knees with a bucket and scrubbing brush. I have some kind of crazy un-sealed tile that gets so disgusting. Mostly Madison vacuums - one of her chores. I'm much more fussy about clean kitchen benches and bathrooms.

BeckyJoie said...

Hey Lisa, I've followed your blog for a long time. Love it. I mop with a sponge mop then get the corners with a paper towel and then steam mop. AGH. LOL. At least three times weekly. I also posted about New Year Traditions on my Trauma-Parenting blog. http://allyourchildren.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-years-traditions-its-complicated.html

BeckyJoie said...

Oh, my mop is called H2o. I actually could get away with using just this since it cleans the floor and sterilizes it. But I don't want to ruin my mop heads so I use a sponge mop first. LOL. I'm such a clean freak. You wouldn't think so right now because I've been fighting a migraine for three days but usually, the floor really is clean enough to eat off of. Of course we don't eat of it. hahaha.